cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a symlink between the pre-updated Dropbox and post-updated Dropbox.

Create a symlink between the pre-updated Dropbox and post-updated Dropbox.

Grey28
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox made some major updates from April 2024 that affects our team's workflow regarding file directory. We're using Windows and a lot of our projects are linked to the old Dropbox (Team's Name) directory, now it's synced to Team's Name Dropbox/Personal Name. However, the old Dropbox (Team's Name) is still there but hidden in our drive, we manage to still maintain the old directory for our old/current projects for the time being but for our new users, the old folder wouldn't appear. Is there a way to create a symlink between the new Team's Name Dropbox/Personal Name to the Dropbox (Team's Name)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Hello @Grey28,

Yes, that will work. If I got this right, you need to have the files accessible through the old path. For new users you can recreate the old Dropbox folder path as a junction link (use mklink in an administrative command prompt for that) to the new Dropbox path. It won’t affect the functioning of Dropbox in any way, since the link is outside of the Dropbox folder and is only used to maintain the old paths.

Hope this gives you the courage to try it.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm afraid Dropbox wont support/sync Symlinks. Dropbox only sync's files inside of the Dropbox folder - so the files should be in that location and symlinked at the original

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Grey28
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I'm pretty new to this symlink concept, only found out on 1 of Dropbox's Help Center page saying that "Dropbox will create a hidden symlink that points to new Dropbox folder from the old location. Fresh installs don't require this, as the Dropbox folder is created with the team name from the beginning", so was wondering if I can recreate this symlink for our new users also if Dropbox managed to do it.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If I'm honest I'm not sure - but the symlinks themselves arent in Dropbox, they are at the original location. 

A google of Microsoft's help pages may help?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Grey28
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes Mark, they are at the original position so it was D:\Dropbox (TeamName) and that's exactly what we need to recreate and maintain our linked directory for all the project files. The current one is synced at D:\Dropbox TeamName\MyName. I went googling on Microsoft too but wanna check if anyone tried it out here

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Hello @Grey28,

Yes, that will work. If I got this right, you need to have the files accessible through the old path. For new users you can recreate the old Dropbox folder path as a junction link (use mklink in an administrative command prompt for that) to the new Dropbox path. It won’t affect the functioning of Dropbox in any way, since the link is outside of the Dropbox folder and is only used to maintain the old paths.

Hope this gives you the courage to try it.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

Grey28
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Oh this works perfectly, thank you
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Grey28 Explorer | Level 4
    DBoxTips Collaborator | Level 8
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?