cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install the app, but need to keep the creation date while uploading files through the web.

I can't install the app, but need to keep the creation date while uploading files through the web.

LMNOP1
New member | Level 2

I have an old iMac that I cannot install the Drop Box app as I cannot upgrade the Mac to a new enough iOS.  I have 30,000 pictures I am trying to get off my iMac but do not want to lose the "create date" as it will make it too difficult to search for old pictures.  So, I am left to use the web version of Drop Box.  It seems when I upload the photos ion Drop Box, the create date is being changed to the date of the upload.  It is kind of tough to tell for sure as I cannot get the create date to show.  Any help would be appreciated

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@LMNOP1 wrote:

It seems when I upload the photos ion Drop Box, the create date is being changed to the date of the upload.

That's correct, and there's no way around that. As the files are being newly created on the Dropbox servers when you upload them, they get a new creation date.

If you're able to move the files to a newer computer, using an external drive, for example, you can let Dropbox sync them and they will retain their dates.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?