cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New macOS packages added from a Mac computer cannot be synced to Windows

New macOS packages added from a Mac computer cannot be synced to Windows

euiow
Explorer | Level 4

I am a Markdown user who relies on Dropbox to synchronize my files across multiple devices, including both Mac and Windows machines. However, I have encountered an issue with the Dropbox application on M1 Macs, which has adopted Apple's latest File Provider framework.

The problem arises when working with textbundles, a file format commonly used by Markdown editors to store the Markdown document along with its associated assets, such as images. Dropbox now treats textbundles as "New macOS packages" and only allows them to be accessed on devices running Dropbox for macOS on File Provider.

This change is entirely unnecessary for textbundles, as their contents are simply the Markdown document and its attachments, which should be accessible on any device. By restricting access to textbundles, Dropbox has effectively locked my Markdown files within Apple's walled garden, preventing me from editing them on my Windows devices.

I strongly believe that Dropbox should reconsider this approach and allow textbundles to be synchronized and accessed across all platforms, as they are essentially just folders containing Markdown files and assets. The current implementation hinders the cross-platform workflow that many Markdown users, like myself, rely on.

It would be greatly appreciated if Dropbox could provide an option to exclude textbundles from being treated as "New macOS packages" and enable seamless synchronization and access across all devices.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

euiow_0-1714386102948.png

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @euiow, thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

We really appreciate your comments on this macOS on File Provider situation.

I will make sure to pass your feedback along to our team.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

euiow
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks

euiow
Explorer | Level 4

I noticed that the Scrivener Tutorial.scrivx can be synchronized to Windows, but Tutorial.scrivx is also just a package, so I hope the textbundle can also be synchronized to Windows.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

euiow Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?