cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploaded a number of files, but the saved file is not the uploaded file shared. Help!

Uploaded a number of files, but the saved file is not the uploaded file shared. Help!

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

I have uploaded a number of files, but the saved file is not the version of uploaded file shared. Help! These are new saved files without a previous existing version. The version being uploaded is from is a previous 'save' at some point while writing the doc therefore missing the final doc!!

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ladybug88, let's see what we can find together! 

Let's take this one step at a time. You mentioned that you uploaded some files. 

Would you mind clarifying where these files came from? Were they in a different account, or locally on your device? 

If I understand this correctly, it sounds like the content was previously saved in another shared folder, right? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

They are saved files uploaded directly from my computer - not previously shared

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

It appears that dropbox is uploading an older 'auto-saved' version of the file, not the current saved document even though the file is saved and closed on the computer

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

My troubleshooting leads me to think it's a compatibility issue. Working on a Macbook, using Safari & MS Excel

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ladybug88, thanks for your speedy response! 

And if you open them locally, are you able to see the most updated version of the file, or the same version that was uploaded to Dropbox?

Also, do you upload them using the desktop app or the website? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

When I open locally I see the updated version of the file.

They've been uploaded from the website.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ladybug88, sorry to jump in!

That's a pretty strange issue. Have you tried restarting your computer and uploading the file again, to see if that makes any difference?

Also, after you upload the file to your Dropbox, and then use these steps to download it to your computer, just as a test, do you see the correct version or the older one?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Ladybug88
Explorer | Level 3

It is strange, right? That's why I was wondering if it was a compatibility issue using Safari or something.

I have already re-uploaded the files where the glitch happened so can't check the downloaded version at this time. They uploaded correctly the second time, but it was the person they are shared with that caught it so I went and checked the rest of the uploads. I will download next time to see if that changes - it wasn't a consistent issue with all the excel files that were uploaded. It was 2 out of 8 (I hope there aren't more that I missed as the team needs the up-to-date versions ><).

And will restart by computer next round of uploads. 

The person I am sharing them with suggested making them pdfs then downloading, but they were intended to be a working document that could be added to so I want to get to the cause of it to save those extra steps.

To note. One of the excel files hadn't been edited in months, so was uploaded without any recent changes. The other I had just created prior to sharing (the file was saved + closed before uploading). 

Is it a syncing issue? I only want to sync files I am sharing/uploading. I haven't gone into the settings to see if there is something there to troubleshoot.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ladybug88, thanks for the added info!

Just to clarify here: you're using Safari to upload the content, not our desktop app, right? 

I'm asking, because you mentioned a syncing issue, so I'm wondering if you're using the app or not. 

Also, have you noticed the same behavior when using a different browser, in order to upload your files? I'm trying to pinpoint, why this must be happening. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Ladybug88 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?