cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search in filename only REDUX

Search in filename only REDUX

wbraswell
Helpful | Level 5

@Lusil

Why is the original issue from @petholla locked?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Search-in-filename-only/td-p/353242

MORE IMPORTANTLY, when will Dropbox actually fix this hugely problematic issue of not being able to do a basic filename search???

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @wbraswell, thanks for messaging the Community!

This thread was closed as it was rather old.

Regarding your query, are you not able to search for filenames on your account? What error are you getting? 

Does searching in the Dropbox desktop application help at all?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wbraswell
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

I only have access to the Dropbox.com web interface.

When I use the Dropbox search feature, it searches both the filenames and also the file contents, and then randomly combines the results, thereby rendering the final results unusable.  This is the same serious issue that @petholla mentioned in the original thread from 2019, and it still needs to be fixed after all these years.

Can you please tell me, when does Dropbox intend to fix this issue?

Thanks,

~ Will

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the input, currently there isn't any information on this matter.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wbraswell
Helpful | Level 5

@Walter & @Jay 
How and why did my change suggestion get merged back into this discussion thread???
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Search-in-file-name-vs-file-contents/idi-p/723459

Rich
Super User II

@wbraswell wrote:

How and why did my change suggestion get merged back into this discussion thread???

It wasn't in the Share an idea section when I merged it. It was in with the regular community posts and I recognized it as a duplicate to your existing conversation, so I merged it here. I've now moved that single post to the proper location.

wbraswell
Helpful | Level 5

@Rich 
Wow this Dropbox Forum interface is extremely confusing, nowhere did your name show up as being involved in this mysterious merging action until you voluntarily chimed in, otherwise I would have no way to track what in the world was happening or why!
That being said, my suggestion link still doesn't work:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Search-in-file-name-vs-file-contents/idi-p/723459

Rich
Super User II

@wbraswell wrote:

That being said, my suggestion link still doesn't work:

Seems to be working for me. Cache issue, perhaps?

6f26d0a91488fc8fbd8175f92d841d84.png

varenc
Helpful | Level 6

I also would *love* the ability to search by filename only. I have a large Dropbox with many random text files in it, so any search always brings up some of the full text results. It would be incredibly helpful if I could only search for the filename or if I could at least sort the results so that filename matches show up first.

That said, the only good solution to this I know of at the moment is to downgrade your Dropbox to the free plan.  Full text search is a paid feature, so once you're back on the free plan you'll get filename-only search.  

At the moment I rely on rclone ls to do a filename-only search of Dropbox. Sadly its quite slow, but it's my best option besides downgrading.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

varenc Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
    wbraswell Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?