cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view Backup folder on DropBox app?

How to view Backup folder on DropBox app?

dislokated
Explorer | Level 3

Greetings community!

Previously, I used to be able to see my Mac represented on my Dropbox as a folder (I had enabled the backup option). This was super convenient because I could easily access my files on-the-go using my Dropbox iPhone app.

However, due to a computer issue, I needed to wipe my MacBook Pro clean and reinstall everything (including Dropbox). I enabled backup for my MacBook. However, now, it doesn't show me the MacBook folder like it used to. So I can't access my files on the go. It shows me that I have backed up my files and I am able to see them through a web browser. However, the folder representing my MacBook (backup) has stopped showing on Dropbox.

Is this due to some update in how backups work now for Dropbox on Mac? How do I get the backup folder to start showing up on Dropbox again.

Thanks!

21 Replies 21

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dislokated, thanks for messaging the Community!

This was the behavior of the old Dropbox Backup feature. 

After an update to the feature, the backups are now only visible on the Dropbox site. It isn't possible to revert this change.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tlloyd88
Helpful | Level 6

I just encountered the same problem when starting a new macbook. This is a _really_ unhelpful change! Any chance it could be changed on the next update? (Please!!!)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @tlloyd88, we appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mbriney
Helpful | Level 6

I agree with the poster above.. this has made things very troublesome by not allowing everything to be read via the mobile app. I understand the principle of having the major "backups" be in a different segment of dropbox.. but it shouldnt be that hard to access all the files. Maybe inside the regular current Dropbox app, feature a button that allows up to actually open the files that are in this "backups" section? OR maybe create another "Dropbox Backups" app that will allow us to remotely view these backup files without having to go thru the browser?

ensoniq70
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay wrote:

This was the behavior of the old Dropbox Backup feature. 

After an update to the feature, the backups are now only visible on the Dropbox site. It isn't possible to revert this change.

Is it a joke? I can't access my desktop data from the iPhone or iPad App? What a stupid idea. The whole Dropbox behavior is awful on a mac. We pay for the service and it gets worse and worse with every update.

Rich
Super User II

@ensoniq70 wrote:

I can't access my desktop data from the iPhone or iPad App? What a stupid idea.

Don't confuse your Dropbox data (files located within your Dropbox folder) with the data saved through use of the Backup feature. Your Dropbox data is accessible in the mobile apps. It's just your backup data that can only be viewed through the website.

tlloyd88
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, I think the posters above understand this. It's just that the developers _took away_ a feature (access to backup files via iphone or ipad) that was very useful before to many people, without any appreciable benefit....

ensoniq70
Helpful | Level 6

Hello Rich,

thanks for the quick answer, but i want use my Desktop files on other devices. This was the normal behavior in the past (4-5 month ago). Now Dropbox launch a "Backup" App and we can't use these files on other devices? Sorry this is stupid. I have enough real backups. I don't need another online backup for my desktop files. Why did Dropbox change it?

Since i join the Beta versions on my main mac, Dropbox is not anymore the tool i want to use.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for your feedback on this.

We've already passed your comments along to our team.

If you'd like to access your backup files from all your devices, a workaround could be to move them into the Dropbox folder.

I understand it's not a solution, but I hope it helps.

We really appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts and rest assured that they've reached the appropriate people.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

paoloa New member | Level 2
    user1993 New member | Level 2
    petegold New member | Level 2
    Spushor Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?