cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I switch account log-ins?

How can I switch account log-ins?

MariM1
Explorer | Level 3

How do I delete an old account that is preventing me from logging into a new account? The login keeps reverting to the other Dropbox account that was set up long ago. I can’t override that. It appears I need to log out of that old one first, before I can log into the new one. It was set up by someone else years ago, prior to 2-step verification. That code is of course being sent to the Gmail account that someone else set up – which I can’t access to get the code! So, I can’t log in, which means I can’t log out of that one.

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MariM1, I hope you're doing well!

Would you mind clarifying the platform you're using on your end, when trying to sign out of the account? 

Do you use the website, desktop or mobile app? 

You mentioned that you can't receive a code when trying to access the account, but it's not entirely clear to me if you're referring to the new or the old account. Do you get any errors? 

Let me know more, and I'll be happy to help! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MariM1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the quick response! It's for my husband, a laptop with Microsoft Windows. Logging in through the website. I did the same thing for my own login last week, on my own laptop. We're both trying to access the same new Dropbox account. I had an old Dropbox account that I hadn't accessed for a few years. On the login screen, that email address auto-populated. But because I was the one that set that up with my own email, the 2-step verification code was sent to my email and I was able to access that. Once I logged in and then logged out of that old account, I was then able to log into the new account no problem. So, HIS login screen is auto-populating with an old Dropbox account that he did not set up. Trying to do the same thing I did with mine, we've tried to log into that old one so we can logout. But, because someone else created a dummy gmail account to set that up, we have no access to that gmail to receive the 6-digit code. So we're trying to figure out how to permanently delete that old account from his login screen, so he can get access to this new account. Does that make sense?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MariM1, thanks for the added info! 

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache & cookies, by any chance? 

That should maybe help, since it would clear the saved, old email address, and it would allow your husband to enter his own credentials. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MariM1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Megan. I was afraid that would be the next step. A pain, as he has dozens of other sites that he'll now have to go back and re-enter those log-in credentials. Do you happen to know if you can clear the cache/history of only one specific site?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MariM1, in some browsers this might be possible, not entirely sure on my end but I'll be happy to check. 

Which one do you use on your end? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MariM1
Explorer | Level 3

He uses Edge

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Here is what I found @MariM1.

Open Microsoft Edge browser, and open the website in browser. Next press F12 button on the keyboard. 

Click the Network option at the top, and press Ctrl + R key at the same time to remove all cookies and caches for this site and refresh this page.

You can also do your research about this online, just to make sure. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    MariM1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?