cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share unique links between Users

Share unique links between Users

mattahern
Explorer | Level 3

It has recently come to my attention that links created by a user are unique to the user. When that user no longer works in the company and we deactivate the account, so do the links. We have thousands of links shared on our online database (educational materials) and we're looking for a solution to be able to pass-on those unique links to another user to be the primary owner. Is this possible?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mattahern, thanks for joining our Community!

Can you clarify if you're talking about shared links between individual Dropbox accounts or Business ones?

Also, please keep in mind that Dropbox is actually moving to an updated shared link architecture, where links are based on content rather than on users.

I would suggest you take a look at this article from our Help Center for more info.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mattahern
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your response. I believe that the Dropboxes are set up as individual.

I have read this article but I don't believe it is useful for existing links that have already been set up and shared. I have also noticed that for some links, we do have the 'rlkey' present in the URL but the link is broken when the user is inactive. In saying this, I am also not sure how to utilise the new shared architecture with a file that has an exisitng link?

Is there a way to have existing links transferred to the new architecture structure without having to update the links? We have literally thousands!

Would we be able to take this offline and try find a solution on my use case? 

mattahern
Explorer | Level 3
When a user is no longer a member of a shared resource or deactivated their account, the link should not die in it. There needs to be capability to share or pass permissions of the shared link to another user.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mattahern, I'm afraid that the old link architecture will remain in place for your existing links, so you'd need to delete them and create new ones, for them to have the new architecture.

I hope this clarifies things and sorry if that causes an inconvenience.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mattahern Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?